Inorder to acquaint the students with the latest developments in various fields, personalities, incidents, events and providing a profound knowledge in general knowledge and also to give students a platform where they can express their views on scientific developments, the Cochin College Science and Quiz Club was established. Ever since its inception, the club is working hard and trying its best to keep the students in touch with the scientific developments. The club also opens the door to a world of knowledge through various quiz programs , talks by eminent personalities and field trips. The club has taken great care to instill the knowledge about the latest developments in various fields.
1. Ozone Day Celebrations: The United Nations General Assembly designated September 16 as the International Day for the Preservation of Ozone Layer. Every year this day is celebrated all over the world for spreading the idea of preservation of Ozone layer. The theme of Ozone Day 2015 is “30 Years of Healing the Ozone Together – “Ozone: All there is between you and UV.” The Science and Quiz Club of The Cochin College also organized various programs for celebrating Ozone Day 2015, with the financial support from Kerala State Council for Science Technology and Environment.The main event of the celebration was a talk on Ozone Layer and its preservation by Dr P V Joseph, Associate Professor,Dept. of Chemistry, Maharajas College,Ernakulam..The talk by Prof Joseph was so inspiring for the students that most of them were eager to clear there many doubts regarding the ozone layer and its protection ,with Prof Joseph
2. Science Popularization Programme : Its our pleasure that Kerala State Council for Science Technology and Environment selected our College for the implementation of their Science Popularization Programme. We started the Science Popularization programme SAASTHRA with a field trip to Mithradham Renewable energy Center.The next Major event of the programme was LED Lamp Manufacturing training to students and people in and around the city. The training was given by Paulbert Thomas ( Dept. of Electronics, The Cochin College) and Vijeesh P( Dept. of Physics, The Cochin College). Many of our students benefitted much by this training so that they were able to make LED Lamps of their own and the club arranged a sale for these lamps.
1 As continuation of Science Popularization Program we organized Solar Powered Emergency Lamp Manufacturing Training which was a grand success. The training was lead by Paulbert Thomas and Vijeesh P. Nearly 75 participants benefitted by the expert training on solar powered emergency lamp manufacturing training
2 Conducted an essay writing competition for Department of Atomic Energy. Twenty students from various departments participated in this event.
3 3. Celebrated National Science Day on February 28 . Various competitions conducted as part of this.
The academic year 2017-18 was an eventful year for Science and Quiz club .All the activities planned for the year were completed successfully . World Environment Day celebrations conducted in association with Department of Physics and Department of Zoology ,on June 16,2017 marked the beginning of this year’s events . Mr. Feroz from Sea Gift , Alappuzha
delivered an interactive lecture about ocean and the need for preserving natural resources. In association with the Department of Physics ,the club organized a Lecture series by Experts on Science Nobel Prizes-2017 on 2017 November 10th. Dr. Titus K. Mathew (Department of Physics,CUSAT) delivered a lecture on “gravitational waves “ and Dr.Ratheesh K.(Department of Chemistry, Women’s college,Thiruvanathapuram) on“ Cryoelectron microscopy for the high resolution structure determination of bio molecules in solution”. The Club conducted a quiz competition on 2-2-2018 for selecting students for various quiz competitions. Ekalavyan R.K,Gopika P.S,Jithin K.V,Celine S.P, Adarsh Albert and PoornimaT.U were the topers in the list, the session was followed by a priliminary round of quiz for MES AIMAT All Kerala Inter Collegiate Quiz Competition in the afternoon . Jithin K.V, Poornima T.U , Ekalavyan R.K, Depesh S, Gopika P.S, Francis Adarsh Albert and Felix Mathew were selected for the finals. The Science and Quiz Club in Association with Dept. of Physics organized Entrepreneurship Awareness Camp for Science students with the Support of KITCO on 7 th and 8 th February 2018. Around 75 students participated in the event and conducted a field visit to Azeesa Foods Marakkadavu, Kochi as part of this camp. The Science and Quiz Club in association with Dept. of Physics and Dept. of Botany celebrated National Science Day- “Tharang-2018” with the support of K.S.C.S.T.E. on 15 th February 2018. The Programme was inaugurated by Dr.Supriya M.H, Professor and Head , Dept.of Electronics, Cochin University of Science and Technology and made a key note speech on the topic “ Man Machine, towards a Cognitive Coherence”. Many competitions were conducted as part of Tharang-2018. In the Poster Design competition, Krishnadas M., Danny Joseph and Aparna M.B respectively secured 1st , 2nd and 3rd prize. In the Essay writing competition Athul Rajan, Maneesha P. M and Minnu Aravind got 1st , 2nd and 3rd prize respectively.In the “Prime Time” – T.V News Reading Competition Camella Luiza Dicouta and Caroline Abbet secured the first prize. Elizabeth Tesmi and Aleena Joy got the second and Deepa P. Kini and Ekalavyan R.K received the third prize.
The club started a new wing “Student Empowerment and Awareness- SEA” in connection with the Golden Jubilee Year Celebrations of the College. Dr. Meera Sudhir, Founder & CEO, Elixir solutions,Thevara inaugurated the wing. The first programme of Student Empowerment and Awareness wing of Science and Quiz Club was a work shop for student empowerment and awareness. Dr. Meera Sudhir delivered a talk on “ Decode your Genetic Potential and Live Life Powerfully”.Vijeesh P., Assistant Professor, Department of Physics conducted a training programme on online teaching for post graduate students of the college.
- TRAINING IN ONLINE TUTORING TO MASTERS DEGREE HOLDERS IN ALL DISCIPLINES
- WORLD SPACE WEEK CELEBRATIONS
- WORLD WET LAND DAY CELEBRATION
- NATIONAL SCIENCE DAY CELEBRATIONS
- SUPERKNOWA QUIZ COMPETITION
- VIJEESH P, (CONVENER)
- DR. NAYANA BIJU
- SABITHA JOSEPH
- PAULBERT THOMAS
- VINEETH KUMAR
- RAJ KIRAN
- ABU THAHIR
- The Reef Clean Up Crew – What Should Be Introduced to Your mail order corals?
- Ideal Cities for Real Property Investments in the Philippines
- Flight Terminal Car Parking Pre-Book automated parking systems uk
- Translation Providers: A Possibility for Developing a Company
- Online Dental Marketing – Do I Truly Required It?